Remembering Wil Genovese

Our friend and colleague Wil passed away a few days ago after a hard-fought battle with cancer. Wil worked for CF Webtools for almost 10 years. His devotion and expertise are irreplaceable. He has posted on this blog frequently and was a frequent writer on his own excellent blog at Trunkful.com. His role here was as a senior architect and knowledge expert. His influence was felt throughout our staff.

CF Webtools is a company built on people and a certain culture. We have 4 core values that are a part of our DNA as a company - Caring, Competence, Communication, and a Can-do spirit. Despite the alliteration, these are not "aspirations". They are what make us tick from the top down. Wil exemplified all these attributes in our company. He cared about our customers and his co-workers. He was excellent at communicating his wealth of knowledge - indeed, probably half of the entries in our large internal Wiki were written by Wil. I trusted him to handle a sticky problem and find a solution. When it came to solving problems, Wil had determination. He was stubborn! And he thought around corners in a way that always reminded me of me.

As a man, Wil was larger than life. He was funny, affable, and generous with his time. He loved cigars, good food, good bourbon, and his jeep. He was gentle with big-hearted self-effacing humor that always made us smile.

He died too young, but during the time we knew him, he lived well - loving and honoring those around him, building friendships, and adding joy to those he knew. May the same be said of all of us. We at CF Webtools will miss him dearly.

Comments
Rodney's Gravatar Wil was an asset to the company and the CF community as a whole. He will be missed, that's for sure.
# Posted By Rodney | 12/8/20 11:47 AM
Joshua's Gravatar In the short time I knew Wil, he was instrumental in assisting me as a new Sys Admin. I wish I had more time to pick his brain and sponge up more knowledge before his untimely passing. To sit here and think he's no longer with us is very difficult to comprehend this week. I strive to be the type of employee Wil was at CF Webtools.
# Posted By Joshua | 12/8/20 11:55 AM
Phil Chrisman's Gravatar I really loved this guy for so many reasons written here. I am going to treasure my time spent with him. I send his family my very best.
# Posted By Phil Chrisman | 12/8/20 12:05 PM
Russ's Gravatar Rest in Peace man, my condolences to the family.

Cancer seems to kill so many people now. :-(
Both myself and my wife lost our parents to it.
# Posted By Russ | 12/8/20 12:14 PM
Mike Letson's Gravatar On several occasions, Will led me through deep technical waters that enabled me to serve my clients well.

Regarding cigars, I remember him popping on one our monthly staff meetings with a fair amount of smoke wafting up from a freshly lit cigar. Made me laugh!
# Posted By Mike Letson | 12/8/20 12:31 PM
Mark A Kruger's Gravatar @Mike,

Ha - yes! He was always a hoot at staff meetings. :)

To be clear to the rest of the world - these were remote meetings. He was in his home office. :)
# Posted By Mark A Kruger | 12/8/20 12:43 PM
charlie arehart's Gravatar Very sad news, and a real loss for the CF community which was blessed with so much of his knowledge and passion over the years. RIP, Wil. You will be missed. Condolences to family and colleagues.
# Posted By charlie arehart | 12/8/20 1:16 PM
Mary Jo's Gravatar Wil's presence here will be sorely missed. We became good friends over the years and I will miss our Skype chats. I know too how much he loved his state of Minnesota, and the crazy weather there, even though he talked so often about moving!
# Posted By Mary Jo | 12/8/20 4:08 PM
Gregory Alexander's Gravatar Sad news indeed! I worked with Wil briefly with Galaxie Blog, which he tested for me. It's sad that I could not work with him longer, and I am sorry to hear that he passed away. Rest In Peace Wil...

Gregory
# Posted By Gregory Alexander | 12/8/20 10:58 PM
Mike Brunt's Gravatar I am tremendously sorry the read of this; I respected Wil greatly for his knowledge, skills and determination and met him, I believe at, at least one CF Meeting.
# Posted By Mike Brunt | 12/20/20 8:59 PM