The Muse is a slow moving tools user. I just switched to CF Builder about a year ago in fact. Before that I was using CF Eclipse. I still use the venerable Homesite for quick troubleshooting on production servers or to review code. I'm using it to write this blog in fact. I have written my blogs in hand coded HTML for many years - which I'm sure, explains the copious amounts of in-line CSS throughout. But I'm a full convert to CF Builder now and have been for some time. All my "Code-for-production" work is done using CFB with integrated SVN through a local environment. Recently on one of the email lists I follow I heard a tip from mad-genius Kevin Miller (Websolete.com).
Like the Muse, Kevin runs CF Builder 2 on Windows 7 64bit as a plugin against a heavily customized version of eclipse 64bit. Also like the Muse he finds it to be an underachiever. CFB (or perhaps it's just 64bit Eclipse and we are throwing CFB in there unnecessarily) tends to use way more processor than seems necessary and at times seem to lag and catch up like a fat man at a marathon. On rare occasions when I'm editing large files or (in particular) browsing files on the network it simply peters out and needs to be defibrillated - also like the fat man I suppose. Of course I have edited the eclipse.ini file and I run a large heap. I've experimented with different GC's and other params. In the end I just kind of assumed that.... well that it was a dog like many Java desktop apps (don't judge me). And at age 46 I've learned to settle for a lot of things, so I was reasonably content to simply live with it. I know - it sounds horrible when I write it down like that (doh!).
But Kevin suggested switching from javaw.exe to the jvm.dll by adding the "-vm" switch. I had assumed that "javaw.exe" was necessary because it builds a Windows GUI. But that "GUI" is not the Eclipse gui (at least I don't think so). More likely it is that annoying system tray thingy that keeps begging me to let it spout all the wonderful things Oracle is doing while it upgrades my SDK. Anyway, with a little trial and error I found that Eclipse runs splendidly using the jvm.dll and I'm having fewer lags and problems with. Kevin's post is here if you want the full story. Let me add to his comments that I had a bit of trouble finding the right "jvm.dll". The first one I tried was apparently 32 bit. The one I needed was in the jre6 folder - which eventually I found installed elswhere on my machine. Thinking back I think the SDK install does ask for a specific location for those files - so that makes sense.
Once I had right path I opened my eclipse short cut and added..
eclipse.exe -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\server\jvm.dll"
...to the target area so that I'm using it each time I open eclipse. Note the necessary quotes around the path. They are needed because of the space in "program files". As always I count on my readers to add to the conversation - just be nice. Remember I grew up on Andy Griffith, not South Park. So let's leave Kenny alone on this post. On the other hand Aunt Bee is fair game.