Don't try this Coldfusion code at home

This should probably be subtitled "be thankful if you don't read this language" (ha). Check out this excellent link of horrendously bad code from Micha Schopman on CF-Talk. I'm sure it took far longer to debug than it did to write. <g>

(I had originally attributed this blurb to Matt Osborn but it was actually Micha Schopman.)

Comments
Niklas Richardson's Gravatar What DOES this do? ;)
# Posted By Niklas Richardson | 6/2/05 3:42 PM
mkruger's Gravatar I was hoping some CFer would recognize it from his early years and say "hey - I remember that code!!" ... then tell us what it actually does (ha).
# Posted By mkruger | 6/2/05 3:54 PM
Jennifer Larkin's Gravatar RUN AWAY!

Seriously, thanks for sharing. I needed a good laugh!
# Posted By Jennifer Larkin | 6/2/05 3:54 PM
Jennifer Larkin's Gravatar Having looked at it again, the funniest thing that I saw was the <cfsilent> tag at the top. It smells of an act of desperation, and cfsilent ain't gonna help that code.
# Posted By Jennifer Larkin | 6/2/05 3:57 PM
Paul W's Gravatar I was laughing at the cfsilent too. You can’t polish a turd!
# Posted By Paul W | 6/2/05 4:51 PM
Jeff Coughlin's Gravatar I'm not sure where, but I could swear I've seen that somewhere before.

Ouch. Looking at it just hurts. If anything, at least loop over the form structure or something.

I'm sure there are a hundred better ways to do form validation, however looking at that code just made my day :).
# Posted By Jeff Coughlin | 6/2/05 4:54 PM
Joe Rinehart's Gravatar Hey...at least it's lovingly indented. That should make it easy to delete w/o hurting anything else...
# Posted By Joe Rinehart | 6/2/05 5:58 PM
Jack's Gravatar I'm sorry, but I just don't see what's wrong with this.

:-)
# Posted By Jack | 6/2/05 6:13 PM
DL's Gravatar And there's comments, too! 3 of them!

Granted, it gives us absolutely no clue what the heck it's verifying in 3 parts, but anyway...
# Posted By DL | 6/3/05 1:22 AM
Sean Corfield's Gravatar It's not even legal syntax (if that txt file is accurate)... there's an extra cfelse clause there...
# Posted By Sean Corfield | 6/3/05 2:40 AM
Andy J's Gravatar Where you get my code from ;o)

If you cross your eyes and stare at it for 30 seconds it turns into a 3D lump of **** (you fill the blanks)

seriously though, my brain now aches from seeing that - cheers for the laugh
# Posted By Andy J | 6/3/05 3:11 AM
Andy J's Gravatar Where you get my code from ;o)

seriously though, my brain now aches from seeing that - cheers for the laugh
# Posted By Andy J | 6/3/05 3:12 AM
Joe Rinehart's Gravatar Where's the extra cfelse? I see a double-stacked one (not properly indented) where one of the cfelse's isn't capitalized like the rest (maybe what micha fixed?), but it matches a capticalized, double-stacked cfif that's a little left of lining up propery.
# Posted By Joe Rinehart | 6/3/05 5:16 AM
douglas knudsen's Gravatar ha! yeah, I just blogged about a waste of code piece http://www.cubicleman.com/?id=51 amazing how folks come up with this stuff, eh?
# Posted By douglas knudsen | 6/3/05 8:42 AM
dan's Gravatar who is the mastermind behind this work, we would like to hire him immideately!

:) ~~
# Posted By dan | 6/3/05 8:59 AM
Pop Rocks's Gravatar Oy - I just started with Coldfusion. It feels like I'll never get to the point where I can do advanced stuff with it....
# Posted By Pop Rocks | 11/21/07 1:44 PM